Karoake is alive and well in Puerto Rico



Tonight I find myself sitting on a plastic lawn chair with half of my butt cheek falling through in the open-air bar/cafeteria/banquet hall at the yacht and fishing club in Ponce, Puerto Rico. Enjoying a cold Medulla Light, the local beer, and a grilled jamon and queso (all for under $5, I must add for the sake of my fellow cheapskate blow boaters), I am also a very lucky lady to have stumbled on karaoke night.



Now, let me say, that the acoustics here have nothing on Radio City Music Hall...tiled floor along with tiled ceilings are an amazing combination with 15 somewhat drunk Puerto Ricians belting out the lyrics to the likes of Madonna's "Like a Birgin" and the Eagles "Otel Calefornia" at the top of their lungs. The best though, is when one of the popular local songs come up, and a great cheer comes from those singing as well as from the 7 or so of us that are watching, and it seems as though the singers must be eating the microphone as the words are so loud and the music so soft, and a perfect salsa is performed by the impromptu back-up dancers. I'm sure that the free tequila shots that are given out at the bar have nothing to do with this magical scene.
Meatloaf's "I would do anything for love" is on now...it doesn't get much better than this. Life is good in Ponce, PR.


Wait a minute, it just got better, much better. Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer"! This 80's girl may never leave!






No comments: